Winter is yet another excellent season for us Canadians; however, it is also when the risk of falling increases due to ice patches. Although you cannot control mother nature, you can control a few things to help eliminate your risk.
- Avoid icy patches if possible.
- Wear ice grips.
- Use a cane or walking sticks to help with balance
- Salt or sand common walking areas.
- Practice good walking techniques when on an icy surface.
- Slow down and take your time.
Lastly, you need to prepare your body for these situations by staying fit, which means working on strength, endurance, balance, and reaction time.